Washington, DC, United States
Apply on Company Website
Director of Emergency Communications
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., VA
Posted 2 hours ago
Apply on Company Website
Do you want to utilize your experience in emergency communications to further your career while also having a direct impact in the local community? If so, consider applying for the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Communications Centers (HRECC) Director of Emergency Communications position, where you can join a team of professionals who play a vital role in ensuring the public receives emergency assistance in times of crisis.
The Director of Emergency Communications is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $87,131 - $100,193 annually (equivalent to $41.89 - $48.17 per hour). The ideal candidate for this position will ensure efficient and economical operations by performing difficult professional work in managing the operation of the HRECC, including setting policies and goals under the direction of the HRECC Administrative Board Chairman.
The Director of Emergency Communications:
- Authorizes and approves the hiring, assignment, and evaluation of employees in the department;
- Oversees the system communication design, procurement, integration, implementation, and operation of complex communications center equipment;
- Ensures the operational readiness of the Centers telecommunications and radio equipment;
- Analyzes operating procedures and user response issues and establishes protocols in conjunction with providers;
- Performs overall supervision for special projects related to Center operations;
- Ensures the security of the Center;
- Prepares and submits the annual operational plan to include an overview of budget and program goals and objectives;
- Controls budgeted expenses;
- Prepares periodic reports to City Manager, County Administrator, City Council, and County Board of Supervisors;
- Maintains active liaison with all participating localities, law enforcement, and emergency service providers and other state and local agencies and departments relative to the operation of the Center;
- Maintains appropriate contacts with the public and the media on the use of the emergency communications system;
- Represents the Center at meetings, boards, commissions, and more, including making presentations on departmental matters as required;
- Responds to complaints as necessary;
- Works effectively as a member of the Leadership Team to plan, execute, and evaluate organization-wide strategies that achieve City Councils vision and goals and important community needs.
Physical Requirements: This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires sitting for long periods, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; work may require walking for a distance and/or walking on rough terrain; vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker may be subject to adverse environmental conditions. Potential to be working within hazard zone of an emergency situations.
- Bachelors degree with coursework in emergency management or related field and considerable experience in emergency management in a public safety communications center that serves police, fire, and EMS functions, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Drivers license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Available for after-hours response (including nights, weekends, and holidays), as needed, outside of the positions normal workweek schedule.
- Current possession of or ability to obtain the following certifications within an appropriate time period as determined by the City Manager: Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
Automatic Disqualifiers for Employment at the HRECC per State Regulations*:
- Felony conviction;
- Serious misdemeanor conviction; and
- Conviction within the past three years - excluding traffic-related offenses.
- Please note that the list above is not all inclusive and is subject to the State Regulations, as amended.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Knowledge of emergency management systems and the use of telecommunications equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State regulations governing the use of radio transmissions.
- Thorough knowledge of:
- The principles and procedures of operations of a dispatch center;
- The principles of telecommunications systems;
- The principles of supervision and personnel management.
- Work well in emergency situations;
- Prepare plans, budgets, reports, correspondence, operating procedures, training programs, and schedules;
- Plan and supervise the work of employees;
- Communicate ideas to others;
- Maintain effective working relationships with City and County Officials, employees, and the general public.
Special Requirements: Successful applicants for this position will be subject to a Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) license and driving history query and must complete and pass a satisfactory credit history review, criminal background check, and drug testing. HRECC employees are also subject to random drug/alcohol screenings. Supplemental Information
Application Requirements: In order to considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. online employment application, including education history and work experience, and attach the following:
- Cover letter;
- Three professional references.
Applicants who are unable to upload the required documents via the online employment application must email the documents to Human Resources at *****************************.
Application Deadline: All candidates must submit a complete **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. online employment application with the documents stated above by 5:00 pm EST on Thursday, December 19, 2019 in order to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The City provides an excellent full-time employee benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. & the HRECC are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Interested in Learning More Information about the HRECC and the vital role HRECC employees play in public safety?
Visit our website at ****************************
check out our Facebook page at ***************************************************